Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Thoughts and Musings about Farm Life.

Back in '87, when I was but a shy and sheltered youngster in grade 7, endless jokes were made at my expense with regard to my parents' decision to move to the then sparsely populated former farm land in the West Island of Montreal. Was that your dad's tractor I saw pulling up to school this morning? Are you going home to feed the cows? Funny. Guess that farm talk got under my skin and into my blood stream and maybe, just maybe was a catalyst for this deep rooted desire to come to the farm, this one for real, and see what life here is all about.

Growing up in urban/suburban Montreal, a direct connection to the land was seasonal. We would go on an annual apple picking trip in elementary school and during the summer, at sleep-away camp, there would often be some animals and a mini-garden to tend. Later on, once I had moved out of my parents' home, my mother began to cultivate an amazing garden in her front and back yard. The care and love that she puts into the garden are reflected in the astonishing and vibrant array of plants and flowers that blossom as soon as the days become longer and the sun warms the ground.

On our drive back to Montreal this past Friday, my father was remarking how interesting it was that here I was, the fourth generation, renewing my connection to the land. Three out of four of my grandparents were born and lived in Poland before WWII and had come from families that at some point in their histories had large vegetable gardens, owned animals, farmed and had a reciprocal relationship with the land they lived on. "They would be proud of you," he remarked. "You have carried on the tradition of your family ancestry." I guess he is right. There is something really amazing about being a part of a system that functions with this inherent interconnectedness between parts. We tend to the land that feeds us and the animals we care for. We barter with others for the goods we don't produce ourselves and grow what we can to survive. We pray for rain, thank the earth for her bounty, recognize that we are but a small part of a very complex and timeless system that relies on each and every one to fill a role and a responsibility.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, my goodness what an incredibly sweet post! Your grandparents, your Mom's garden, the elementary apple picking. You never told me that story! Love the idea that you are really connecting with the earth, the systems that sustain us all. I can't wait to hear more. More on the cows and how the farm runs.

Dan Levy said...

Great post. There's something so pure and satisfying about working with your hands, creating something out of nature. I never felt healthier than when I was WOOFing. Guess the Rotsteins have come full circle from the Shtetl!

Em said...

wow. loved that post. so true. who would have thought that dollard "farmland" could be the catalyst for your experience..I really like that musing about our ancestors, and wish I was more connected to the land- come to think of it, I would like to be part of a community garden here!

Susan said...

Hi Miya and Ruby,

I overcame my fear of blogs specifically so I could find you in cyberspace! (Hey, I was born in '67; I'm limited.) It's so sweet, the way you write to each other via a blog post (by Miya) and a response (by Ruby).

Montpelier is located just an hour and a half away from Albany. So let me know if you want a visit. We'll drive out to see you.

Love,
Susan

 
Free counter and web stats