Monday, April 20, 2009

Off the Farm: Montpelier, VT

According to the official website, Montpelier is the nations smallest capital city. Fancy that.
It was a rainy Saturday and a great day to spend indoors. I prepared myself for the big city field trip by packing up my trusty MacBook, charger, camera and coffee mug. Since I am car-less here, my bike still hiding from the cold country air, I am totally dependant on anyone who offers to drive me out for an adventure away from the hustle and bustle of downtown Greensboro. Though devastatingly hard to peel away from the beautiful trees and picturesque mountainous landscape, getting a breath of other humans and coffee is vital to my well being. When I was offered a lift to the big city capital, I leapt with excitement. Really. About an hour drive south west, we rolled up and down hills and drove by silos, old barns, odd junked out trailers and came into Montpelier.
First stop, Langdon St. Cafe. Occupying the bottom floor of a three story adorable house, the cafe was started as a cooperative and later was bought and run by two owners. Live music nightly, a fabulous and extensive food and beverage menu makes this place a cultural center and a very busy place - especially on a weekend afternoon. Hot egg and cheese on a bagel and a cafe au lait and I was set for the next few hours.

After warming up with a hot mug and catching up on my emails, I decided to take a stroll along Main St. (is there a town in this country that doesn't have a Main St.?) to check out the scene. The scene was adorable. Bookstores with awesome window displays, an old apothicary/museum of 19th century pharmacy items, more books, and a beautiful golden domed State Capital building that usually gives tours in the summer (which I found out doesn't actually begin till July).

Next on the mini tour was the famed Hunger Mountain Coop. I was super excited at the prospect of purchasing fresh produce as it had been close to a week of packaged, canned and refrigerated food for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I was ready to come to the inn with an armful of farm fresh greens and other much needed boosts of vitamin rich food. I took the long walk down the old railroad tracks that lead to the hidden coop and along the way spotted this really cool bike-meld sculpture. The coop was beautiful! everything looking so enticing and delicious. I filled up my little cart with produce, perusing the aisles and snatching up some goodies to take back to the horn of unplenty, Greensboro. The cheese counter alone was a plethera of bounty. Cheeses organized by region and state, small farms and well known favorites. Hunger Mountain was celebrating Earth Day with a great big member appreciation day complete with prizes and a cookout! There were samples galore and really intersting local artisanal product. I bought some local 10 grain bread, some Montpelier made chocoalte bars to send off to Brooklyn and the May edition of Saveur. Having gotten myself so accustomed to my beloved and dearly missed Park Slope Food Coop in Brooklyn, I forgot how ridiculously expensive organic food can run you. Here's waiting for VT spring to show it's little tiny head and grace us with some fresh local produce! $103 dollars and 3 grocery bags later, I was still really happy to have my kale and eat it too.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh baby! I totally wanted to be there at that cafe enjoying an egg and cheese and drinking strong coffee. How awesome that it was a coop and then two people bought it. It seems so sweet, live music, good people, good coffee. I remember at Antioch there used to be a mo/weekly "coffee house" night. Seems like we could never do someth. like that here on our own unless we were Tommy Hilfiger's mistresses!

Loving your blog. J&L had idea- you are such a fan of Wed. NYT section, you could totally write in and they could cover you. What people are doing during econ. downturn or local food movement, etc. Good press for Jasper too. Maybe, Rena has a connection?

 
Free counter and web stats