Thursday, March 12, 2009

Myco-what? (and more from l'Ile de Montreal)


Friends,
This week, as our story unfolds, the explorations of the Island of Montreal grow ever more exciting. In my research, I have learned that Montreal is the largest island in the Hochelaga Archipelago, and in fact in the entire Saint Lawrence River. Who would have thought there were other islands on the St. Lawrence? Thanks to Wiki I've learned that there are 74 islands in the Hochelaga Archipelago. I learn something new each day. So much for grade 8 geography retention.



In the frigged streets of Montreal. Left to my own devises, I discovered some magic. Camera in hand, roving the streets of Mile End and The Main (Blv. St. Laurent), curtains opened to reveal a store straight out of the Land of Make-Believe... The Mycoboutique on Rachel below St. Laurent, veritable mushroom emporium. All mushrooms all the time. Live, frozen, dried, embroidered, sculpted, carved... So awesome, I put myself on the mailing list. They specialize in fresh local wild mushrooms from the forests of Quebec and Ontario and since we are not in season for local mushrooms, they are selling fresh fungi from Oregon and British Columbia.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness a whole store dedicated to mushrooms, that is so cool! Embroidered? Great photos and your posts are so fun to read!

 
Free counter and web stats