Thursday, March 12, 2009

1983: Tales of a Long Lost Diary.

As I was busying myself in the basement, digging around for something to read while trying to solve the mystery of the unreliable router, I happened upon my Little Twin Stars diary, given to my by my beloved Safta Tilly on my birthday, June 1983.

I knew I still had this magical Sanrio treasure somewhere in the piles of stuff my parents keep undisturbed in hidden places but had not seen it in quite some time. I wrote from June of 1983 to April of 1993 having only filled a mere 20 pages of the diary, and gotten through half of the pink pages with blue, green and yellow still left untouched. Just goes to show... Flipping through the pages and reading select entries aloud to my father, I realized 3 things about my 9 year old self that still ring true today:

1) I am still a lousy speller and when not making an effort have illegible handwriting. and also I don't know my commas.
2) Food and food related stories occupy most of my brain activity.
3) My days, now, and then, are not really that newsworthy.

I thought that you might enjoy the following excerpts:
DATE July 4 1983 Today at six we went to my uncle for a cookout... we went for ice cream at Dave's me and netta had oreo. She had m&ms on top I had peanut butter cups. And then we went home.
DATE July 6 1983 today we for lunch at friendlys after we finished eating we droped off my grand mother and we went to the movie to see Superman III.
DATE July 8 1983 Today we went to George's Island on a boat and back on a boat. then we came home.

DATE July 9 1983 Today we went to a market wheire there were fruits + vegetables. After that we went to have pizza at a restaurant that had no extra cheese or stras to drink with. after the pizza we went to Qinsie Market.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That was my first of many journals! I should go dig mine up.

 
Free counter and web stats